Radiohead burning witches in stop motion
Radiohead are back! Oxford’s finest are calling back with an eye-catcher video directed by Chris Hopewell using stop-motion in a 60’s puppet styled video for their brand-new tune Burn the Witch.
Radiohead and Camberwick Green
Those old enough to remember watching TV during their childhood in the 1960’s and 70’s will instantly recognise the puppet and animation style of the children TV show Camberwick Green – the brainchild of puppeteer Gordon Murray and animators John Hardwick and Bob Bura.
Radiohead have taken the style and put it through a grinder. The story is that of bloodthirsty villagers out on a witch hunt – don’t hope for a happy ending.
Of course, it’s Radiohead and there’s more to what the eye sees. The narrative carries many sublime messages and is another stroke of genius from the Oxford’s world-conquering band and Hopewell.
It’s a family affair
Song and video are a teaser for the band’s long-awaited new, ninth studio and scheduled for global release in June. Once again, the band calls on their long-time visual collaborator Stanley Donwood who described the new album as a “work of art“.
Donwood worked with the band on numerous occasions, most notably he created the notorious album covers and artwork for Radiohead; from their 1994 EP My Iron Lung to 2007’s In Rainbows.
This will be their first album release since 2011’s The King of Limbs and the band have been working on it for years, in France apparently!
The band are also playing a set of special performances this summer including three intimate nights at London’s Roundhouse this month along with shows in Amsterdam, Paris, Barcelona’s Primavera Sound, Reykjavik’s Secret Solstice Festival, Switzerland, Portugal, Tokyo, Berlin, Mexico and the US.
Watch Radiohead’s excellent Burn The Witch video
Radiohead tour dates 2016
- Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam (20 & 21)
- Le Zénith, Paris (23 & 24)
- Camden Roundhouse, London (26, 28, 28)
- Les Nuits Des Fourvieres, Lyon (1)
- Openair St Gallen (2)
- Primavera Sound, Barcelona (3)
- Nos Alive Festival, Lisbon (8)
- Secret Solstice, Reyjkavik (17)
- Osheaga Music And Arts Festival, Montreal (29-31)
- Madison Square Garden, New York (26 & 27)
- Shrine Auditorium, Los Angeles (4, 8)
- Summersonic Festival, Osaka (20)
- Summersonic Festival, Tokyo (21)
- Lollapalooza Festival, Berlin (11)
- Palacio de los Deportes, Mexico City (3)