Police evacuate Stockholm U2 show after threat
On Sunday, 20 September, Swedish Police and arena security were forced to cancel U2’s show at the Globen Arena in Stockholm.
There are conflicting reports but it seems the evacuation was due to a possible security threat from someone in the audience.
Swedish news site Expressen reported of police looking for an armed man in his 20’s who posed a threat “to a specific person in the audience“.
Malfunctioning barcode scanners
Earlier that evening thousands of ticket holders were refused entry to the area.
Fans were told that this was due to the venue’s malfunctioning barcode scanners but fans already inside the arena reported via Twitter that police and security forces were asking fans to clear the Globen Arena’s GA (standing) area while searching for “something” under seats.
Fans took to Twitter and other Social Media sites showing pictures of concerned ticket holders outside the venue long after expected showtime.
Other tweets also reported helicopters circling above the arena.
U2 show “Rescheduled until Tuesday”
U2 and promoter Live Nation announced the cancellation of tonight’s gig first to fans inside the venue via an announcer on stage, citing “safety is a priority“.
Due to a security breach, Stockholm’s The Globen evacuated the audience from the building this evening. (…) The Globen and Live Nation (…) have no option but to postpone tonight’s show, to a rescheduled date of Tuesday 22nd September. – U2.com (21 Sep. 2015)
Soon after U2’s official website, U2.com published a short press release around 11pm (GMT) confirming the U2 show cancellation “due to a security breach” and announced that the U2 concert is rescheduled until Tuesday, 22 September.
Read U2’s update in full here:
U2’s SUNDAY SHOW IN STOCKHOLM RESCHEDULED UNTIL TUESDAY
Due to a security breach, Stockholm’s The Globen evacuated the audience from the building this evening.
As the breach has not been resolved quickly and as audience safety is paramount, the police have advised The Globen and Live Nation that they have no option but to postpone tonight’s show, to a rescheduled date of Tuesday 22nd September.
All tickets from Sunday 20th September are valid for Tuesday 22nd September.
The organisers apologise for the inconvenience caused and thank the audience for their understanding. Their safety is the priority.
Watch the moment the remaining fans inside The Globen Arena were told of the show’s cancellation
See how some fans reported the situation at the U2 concert with live updates on Twitter.
— Leo James (@IvoclarLeo) September 20, 2015
— Emmett Murphy (@iEmmett) September 20, 2015
— U2tour (@U2tour) September 20, 2015
“Let me tell’ya, everybody will get out of here alive”
It is not the first time a threat delayed a U2 concert.
During their Love Town tour stop at the Sydney Entertainment Centre on 18 November 1989 a bomb threat forced security to evacuate the venue. Luckily on this occasion the threat turned out to be a hoax and the gig went ahead.
Bono and his U2 band took to the stage later that evening and in an attempt to reassure their fans of their safety, he made several jokes about the incident.
During a rousing rendition of their then new single Desire off 1988’s Rattle and Hum album, Bono promised his fans, “Let me tell’ya, everybody will get out of here alive” .
Watch the moment Bono made this comment in 1989 (fast-forward 2 minutes into the clip)
Where you at the U2 gig in Stockholm? Tell us about your experience in the comments section.